Get my Candy-for-the-Soul writing in your Inbox. Sign Up Now.
“Your Purpose is to Enjoy Life”
My spiritual teacher told me a few years ago. At the time, I was working between 60-70 hours a week (in academia), sharing an apartment with a roommate, recovering from a divorce, living an ascetic lifestyle, and wondering what’s the point of it all.
“If you want to contribute in a meaningful way, put your joy first,”
She told me. “Laugh, play, celebrate life, be grateful, and create things out of joy. Duty, guilt, shame, harsh discipline, and overwork – they’re all a part of old mentality. They serve nobody. If you want to help out, joy is your key.”
This was against anything I’ve ever been taught. Born and raised in communist Russia, addiction to pain and suffering was in my blood. Just think of Russian history in 20th century (wars, revolutions, genocide). After that encounter that changed me forever, my purpose became to undo my ancestry and build a different life for myself.
“You deserve to be happy. Your joy is important. You matter.”
What followed was quite an adventure. I travelled the world – mostly alone. Sometimes with a backpack or a bicycle. I studied alternative healing techniques in New Zealand, Brazil, and the USA. I rested – at times, for months – just lying in a hammock and doing nothing. I swam in oceans, walked, spent time in nature, meditated, did yoga. Met some incredible people and talked for hours. I slowed down a lot so that I can take life in.
The whole experience has taught me that no skies open, and no Hell happens when you don’t work your ass off. Those’re old patterns that carry seeds of control, manipulation, and fear.
I became passionate about spreading the message that Joy is Important. I offered coaching, healing, and transformation work, and group teachings. I work part-time and inspire others to do the same.
Life is too short to miss out moments of birds flying, snowflakes falling, flowers blooming, and chocolate croissant melting in your mouth Btw, relationships ‘re much better and so is sex, and money don’t need to suffer!
I recently got re-married and became a mom. I don’t believe that you need to be married or have children to fulfil your purpose, but for me – it was an intuitive choice that felt good. That’s how I try to live (albeit not perfectly) – aligning my choices with inner joy.
I’m excited to “joy-work” with you!
Some of My Education & Work Experience
- 2016-21 - Masters degree in metaphysics, spiritual studies, and alternative healing from Delphi University (expected)
- 2018-20 - Business & marketing studies (from teachers who have successful businesses)
- 2009 - Started my own business, but what I am offering has changed over time
- 2017-19 - Studied how beliefs create reality, the law of attraction etc.
- 2013-16 - Energy healing (in New Zealand, Brazil, and the USA)
- 2015-19 - Voice and Singing
- 2011-15 - Seven 10-day silent meditation retreats (Vipassana, Goenka)
- 2009-11 - Meditation studies with Gary Weber (non-dual)
- 2009-11 - Yoga studies (in the USA, India, Australia)
- 2013-20 - Improvisational movement and dance
- 2011-20 - Assistant and associate professor in applied statistics, mindfulness, & behavior change (was awarded tenure, and left academia shortly after, have 40 + publications, grants, and 100+ conference presentations) - Northeastern University, Boston.
- 2009-11 - Postdoc in statistics and health psychology (Penn State)
- 2004-09 - Ph.D. in quantitative psychology from CUNY, New York
- 1994-95 - Masters degree in pedagogy, history, and law from Smolensk State University in Russia.
- 1988-95 - Classic piano, a music school in Russia