The Spirit of Giving 🎁Dec 28, 2022
I hope you had a fantastic weekend, doing nothing or spending time with family - whatever suited you.
I feel that an important part of a conscientious business and entrepreneurship is to do good in the world. I love the suggestion of Florence Scovel Shinn (a metaphysician at the beginning of the 20th century), who shared,
"Plan to give 10% of your income to social causes."
This past year, we probably contributed more than 10% of our income to such causes, given that we also pay salaries of people who help us - at home and in business.
You might all be gifted out, by this time of the year, but if you are still feeling inspired and generous, I want to share with you a few resources and organizations I admire for their work in the world:
1. Plants of Pennsylvania is a non-profit that promotes education and beauty around the flora of PA. It's run by a woman I personally know, whose love for nature and its healing beauty is admirable.
2. Kiva.org I love this organization because you can loan money to specific people and businesses. Once the loan is re-paid, you can loan again to continue the giving cycle.
3. Together Rising is a non-profit that transforms collective heartbreak into effective actions. It works in the US and other countries, and it's run by Glennon Doyle, her partner, and other incredible humans.
4. Cash for refugees provides direct cash payments for Ukrainian Refugees. They have people going to Ukraine and delivering cash: $100 per family. Now, when it's cold & there are issues with heat, electricity, and water, this help is particularly timely.
5. Save the children. is a well-established organization that works with hardest-to-reach places, where it's toughest to be a child.
There are many other organizations that do amazing things in the world. You can use Charity Navigator to find your favorite one.
Enjoy the gifting season!
P.S. Mark your calendars for January 7, 10 am to 12 pm. The Art of Creating the New Year workshop is coming up.